Sunday, May 06, 2012

Live Blogging the Lucille Lortel Awards, or Off-Broadway Rocks

The evening kicks off with an awesome dance number and now here's our host Mario Cantone.

Montage of the off-Broadway season. I love a montage. It's awkward that people are only clapping for some of the shows. Why did no one clap for Completeness? I loved that show.

Remember when Mario Cantone was in Assassins? One of my favorite productions of all time.

It's Alexis Bledel and Hugh Dancy to present the first award! Hugh Dancy, I'm still upset you didn't get a Tony nomination.

Outstanding featured actress goes to Tonya Pinkins for Milk Like Sugar. She's done 5 off-Broadway shows this year.

Rose Hemingway and Tony nominee Josh Young (that's how Mario Cantone introduced him). To present outstanding feature actor. Adam Driver wins for Look Back in Anger. "I have no idea what to say."- Adam Driver

I love that these speeches are under a minute so far. Off-Broadway knows how to do award shows.

My Girl's Anna Chlumsky is here to talk about Once. Now they're showing video from the show, reminding me I need to see this on Broadway, like, yesterday. Also, Once has the best logo on Broadway. I'm a little bit obsessed.

Constantine Maroulis is presenting the award for outstanding sound design. And the winner goes to Matt Tierney and Ben Williams for The Select (The Sun Also Rises). Yes! The sound design was my favorite part of that show.

Award for outstanding scenic design goes to Lauren Helpern for 4000 Miles, reminding me I need to see this show.

Oliver Chris from One Man, Two Guvnors is here and I need to see that show too. He's talking about Queen of the Mist.

Fran Kranz and the adorable Celia Keenan-Bolger to present the award for outstanding lighting design. It goes to Natasha Katz for Once. Yeah! They also present outstanding costume design to ESosa for By the Way, Meet Vera Stark.

If there's one thing I love, it's a musical medley. The Broadway Boys singing from shows that started off-Broadway: Peter and the Starcatcher, Godspell, Rent, Avenue Q, and Rock of Ages.

The nominators saw 91 shows this season. I wonder how many I saw.

Richard Foreman is being inducted to the playwrights' sidewalk outside the Lortel Theatre. He's doing a play at the Public next year.

Victoria Bailey from TDF is here. I'm biased because I write for them, but yeah TDF!

In Memoriam.

Michelle Trachtenberg presents the service to off-Broadway award goes to the FDNY.

Once's Cristin Milioti and Steve Kazee to present the award for outstanding solo show to An Iliad. I'm a fan of Denis O'Hare's hat. And Denis O'Hare, obviously.

Condola Rashad, who was wonderful in Stick Fly this season, talks about another musical nominee, Silence. Haven't seen it, but it looks funny.

A performance from the Voca People about the history of music. To be honest, they scare me a little bit. But they do sound really good. They are also the winners of outstanding alternative theatrical experience. "They're so good they actually get away with performing in whiteface."- Mario Cantone on Voca People

Patrick Page and his wife, Paige Davis present outstanding choreography to Steven Hoggett for Once, who sadly isn't here. I love that Patrick Page has a sense of humor about Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark.

Tate Donovan and Halley Feiffer present outstanding director to Sam Gold for The Big Meal. He was up against himself for Look Back in Anger. Whenever Tate Donovan speaks, all I hear is Hercules.

Clybourne Park's Jeremy Shamos (Tony nominee!!!) and Annie Parisse present outstanding revival to Classic Stage Company's The Cherry Orchard. I enjoyed that production.

Lucy Liu is here to present outstanding lead actress to Sanaa Lathan for By the Way, Meet Vera Stark. That play seems so long ago, I forgot it was this season.

By the way, you can see the complete list of nominees here.

Sarah Paulson presents outstanding lead actor. If Santino Fontana doesn't win, I'm going to cry. HE DOES WIN AND I AM SO HAPPY! His speech is lovely and funny and I wish I were recording it. Update: You can read all the speeches on off-Broadway.com. I can't say enough how much that show and his performance meant to me.

Santino Fontana won and now Laura Benanti is going to sing? Is it my birthday? She's going to sing "Something Good" from The Sound of Music. She does the most hilarious dance break. She really is the perfect woman. She brings up producer Richard Frankel, who cast her in The Sound of Music. He's getting a lifetime achievement award.

Sorry about Relatively Speaking, Steve Guttenberg. He doesn't have an iPhone or a Blackberry. We could be friends. He's talking about The Shaggs: Philosophy of the World, which I loved and want to see again.

Mario Cantone is talking about being in Assassins with Michael Cerveris. Have I mentioned yet how much I loved that production? I want to go back in time and see it again.

Here we go. Outstanding musical (presented by Michael Cerveris). Once wins. Obviously. Enda Walsh has such an amazing accent.

Christian Borle and Will Chase present outstanding play to Sons of the Prophet and I die of happiness.

And that's the end. Under two hours long. And that's how you do an award show. Everyone go see an off-Broadway show.

2 comments:

Sacramento Actors said...

If you can't be at the Lucille Lortel Awards, reading a live blogging post definitely helps make up for it. Especially if it's as entertaining as this one. Thank you.

Linda said...

Thank you so much! I'm really glad you enjoyed.