Saturday, February 10, 2007

Spring Fever

I finally saw "Spring Awakening" (oh how I love student rush) and I am happy to report that the hype was founded. I haven't seen every new Broadway production this year, but so far, I will have to agree with every critic who named it the best musical of the year.

If you're unfamiliar with the show, "Spring Awakening" is based on an 1891 German play by Frank Wedekind. The controversial play deals with adolescents trying to understand their sexuality in a world where they are taught to fear their desires. The musical is also set in 19th century Germany, but the musical numbers bridge the past and the present. Actors sing into microphones, turning each scene into a rock concert. There are seats for the audience on either side of the stage and ensemble members sing from there, dressed in jeans and t-shirts.

So much has been written about the show already, so I will let "Spring Awakening" speak for itself. Here is a video of the song that has been stuck in my head since Thursday, the adrenaline-pumping "The Bitch of Living" (music by Duncan Sheik, lyrics by Steven Sater). Pay attention to John Gallagher Jr.'s (he's the first one you see in the video) electrifying vocals.

No comments: