Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Too many things to think about

Now that boot camp is just about over, I have way too much time on my hands apparently. I was looking at more trailers and things online (I honestly never thought about watching trailers online before, it seems like it takes half the joy out of going to the movie theatre if you've already seen all the trailers). But anyway, there is a documentary coming out called "The U.S. vs. John Lennon" about John Lennon's protests against Vietnam and Nixon's efforts to deport him. I'm not sure how I feel about this movie. At first I wondered why this movie is coming out now when this happened so long ago and A lot of what I saw in the trailer are things that most John Lennon fans have seen hundreds of times. At first I wondered why this movie is coming out now when this all happened so long ago, but it just seems like propaganda against the war in Iraq. There is something slightly unsettling to me about using an icon like John Lennon to further your own agenda, especially when he is no longer around. But I guess I'll have to see the movie to see how it's done.

Then there is "Chapter 27," a movie about John Lennon's killer, Mark David Chapman. There are people really upset with this picture and there are boycott "Chapter 27" websites. Again, I'm not sure how I feel. It seems that just by making a movie about somebody like this, you are glorifying him and allowing people to remember him, which is probably what he wanted in the first place. So in that sense I don't agree with it. But then I love the musical, "Assassins," and isn't that kind of the same thing? Is the reason it doesn't upset me as much because I don't have the same connection with those dead presidents that I have with John Lennon? It's something for me to think about. And I probably will see this movie as well before I judge it completely.

P.S. I promise this won't be a Beatles blog, even though a lot of the posts so far have been related to them.

No comments: